Student Internship Programs Working in Non-Profits
About the Program
Interested in working with non-profits to make a difference in the world? The Koch Internship Program provides an opportunity to blend educational opportunities with work experiences. Through KIP, interns take courses to learn about the ideas and principles that help societies prosper. They also learn how to apply our management philosophy to be more effective individuals and help advance principled social change. Through KIP, interns have the opportunity to:
- Understand CKI’s vision for principled social change, recognizing that people can accomplish extraordinary things when they have the freedom and the opportunity to learn, contribute, and succeed. Participants will learn how we can work to remove barriers to opportunity and move closer toward a society of mutual benefit where people succeed by helping others improve their lives.
- Discover and develop the aptitudes and strengths that you can leverage to make a meaningful impact as a principled social-change entrepreneur. Explore non-profit roles that most interest you and offer the most effective ways for you to develop and apply your strengths.
- Understand the importance of organizational culture and how you can apply principles and values to be a more effective individual, capable of increasing your contribution.
Important Program Dates
Applications for the Spring 2019 Koch Internship Program are now open!
The optimal time to apply is prior to December 1st, 2018. You are welcome to apply after this date, but keep in mind that there is a greater chance you may be waitlisted for the program or have fewer role opportunities available to you in the internship portal.
|Program Duration||Opening Week||Graduation|
|Spring In-Person Dates||Jan. 30 – April 30, 2019||Jan. 30 – Feb. 1, 2019||April 30, 2019|
|Spring Online Dates||Jan. 28 – April 29, 2019||Jan. 28 – 30, 2018||April 29, 2019|
|Summer In-Person Dates||June 5 – Aug. 7, 2019||June 5 – 7, 2019||Aug. 6, 2019|
|Summer Online Dates||June 3 – Aug. 6, 2019||June 3 – 5 2019||Aug. 5, 2019|
|Fall In-Person Dates||Sept. 4 – Dec. 3, 2019||Sept. 4 – 6, 2019||Dec. 3, 2019|
|Fall Online Dates||Sept. 3 – Dec. 3, 2019||Sept. 3 – 5, 2019||Dec. 2, 2019|
Koch Internship Program at a Glance
Spring and Fall Program
Weekly Full-time Stipend
Spring and Fall Program
Weekly Full-time Stipend
What You’ll Experience in the Koch Internship Program
Koch Interns spend their time working at a partner organization building the skills needed to contribute in the workplace and engaging in class discussions and sessions with other interns and CKI staff. Classes led by CKI staff and guest instructors include:
- Small group discussions about the principles and ideas that enable societies to prosper. interns engage with ideas from thinkers like F.A. Hayek, Deirdre McCloskey, Frederic Bastiat, Alexis de Tocqueville, and more. From discussing principles and ideas like human dignity, equal rights, toleration, free speech, the price system, and mutual benefit, you’ll come to understand how to better help people improve their own and others’ lives.
- Faculty and speaker presentations about important social problems within areas such as criminal justice reform, free speech and toleration, and foreign policy. Career exploration opportunities featuring development, policy, outreach/external relations/grassroots, communications, and sometimes law and operations.
- Understand and apply the principles of Market-Based Management®, the management philosophy used by Koch Industries—one of the most successful private companies in the country. Through our exclusive MBM® curriculum, you can improve your ability to work with others to create superior value. You’ll learn to how to cultivate an entrepreneurial mindset, seek feedback from others, be open to new ideas, share ideas that challenge the status quo, and have humility to know and improve upon your areas of strength and weakness.
A paid internship.
We know building experience is crucial, especially if you’re a rising professional or about to graduate from college, and we’re here to help jump-start your career.
Professional and personal growth.
Throughout your internship experience, you’ll build and identify your aptitudes, develop general professional skills, and explore career paths! You’ll also receive in-depth education in Market-Based Management, Charles Koch’s management philosophy that has brought proven results to his private company and philanthropies. It's a philosophy that will help you navigate a professional environment no matter where you are in your career journey.
Our educational program alumni are helping to drive positive social transformation, such as working to expand educational opportunity, advance principled business, discover community-based solutions to social challenges, support a free press, and improve public policy.
In addition to many other professional paths, future careers for our alumni have included becoming founders of non-profits, tenured professors, journalists, expert policy analysts. Learn more about our alumni who have been honored by Forbes’ “30 Under 30.”
Completing a Charles Koch Institute educational program comes with many long-term benefits, including access to an alumni network of more than 3,800 professionals. Just as the Institute is dedicated to helping our participants grow and evolve professionally, we are equally excited to help our alumni reach their goals and make a difference in the world.
As an alumnus, you will have access to resources that will help you continue to build skills and meet your goals. These resources include:
- Automatic acceptance into Skill Lab, our online program for professional development courses and webinars.
- Access to the alumni LinkedIn group, and the associated discussion boards, job postings, and networking opportunities.
- Connection to social change jobs and internships, found on our Alumni Jobs Page.
- Invitations to alumni-only events, happy hours, and conferences.
- Support from the Alumni Relations team staff.
Questions about how our alumni network can help you? Email our Alumni team at email@example.com
Our admissions process takes place on a rolling basis. Click to begin a new application or to finish a previously started application.Apply Now
Have questions? We can help.Read Our FAQ
Alumni of the Institute’s educational programs and other professionals can continue to build their skills through our ongoing educational platform, Skill Lab.Learn More